Thursday, September 22, 2005

Soda Addiction



I decided last week to stop drinking Dr. Pepper. I have not had a Dr. Pepper for 24 hours now. It doesn’t sound like much, but it is a real accomplishment. Last week I had cut down to just 2 or 3 cans a day. Prior to that, I was drinking a 6-pack a day. That has been my normal intake of Dr. Pepper for 6 years now. Here are some numbers to consider on my own soda addiction:

Calories:

1 can = 150 calories

6 cans = 900 calories of soda consumed a day

900 calories X 7 days a week = 6300 calories a week

6300 calories X 52 weeks = 327600 calories

One pound of body weight = 3500 calories. If my metabolism wasn’t so off the charts, then I would have gained 93 lbs. this year by drinking this amount of soda.

If I wanted to drop a few pounds by stopping the soda intake; I could loose 1.8 lbs a week.

Quantity:

1 gallon = 128 oz

1 can = 12 oz

((12oz x 6 cans) x 356 days)/128 oz = 200 gallons of soda a year.

I can’t believe I was drinking 200 gallons a year. I’m no Doctor, but I’m really surprised I have not become diabetic.

Soda manufactures are creating enough soda so that every man woman and child can consume 56 gallons of soda each year. I was way over the average.

Goals:

Before I quit, I had to come up with good reasons to quit. Here are my reasons:

  1. I currently have 15% body fat (BFI). My goal is to have 8%. This will be impossible to obtain by continuing my soda intake.
  2. I want to improve my image. At work, I’m always carrying a can of Dr. Pepper. I don’t want to be the guy that always has a Dr. Pepper in his hand. I think this image is about as attractive as the chain smoker.
  3. I want whiter teeth.
  4. I want to be in control of my moods. I really think that the caffeine intake has a negative impact on my general mood.

Well, I just thought that I would share this. I will update this throughout the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI TJ! Hope you can beat your addiction. I have a serious Dr.Pepper addiction as well. I had my third baby six months ago and almost two weeks after having her I had lost all of my baby weight plus a few lbs.! Unfortunately, i gained almost all of it back due to the soda! Yikes! I want to get a better physique and feel beautiful for my hubby! I know we as well as other people can beat this addiction! I want to be the skinny mom! Thanks for your math on the soda, really scared me. Best Wishes.